Monday 23 August 2010

Tegan

When my OH isn't destroying islands by digging them up to search for unlikely Aztec artefacts on Bejeweled Blitz she makes friends with other mums who have lost children to cancer. As a result of this she has made online friends with a family from Nottingham who have a 9-month-old daughter called Tegan who was born with an inoperable brain tumor. Tegan’s doctors don’t know how long she has left, and she lives day to day. The chances of Tegan making it to her first birthday are slim as she stops breathing so regularly.

So she wrote to the Island's newspaper and appealed to readers to help the family, saying that it was really important the family had wonderful memories and special times with their little girl before she died. She wrote :

'I would like to appeal to anyone who has a caravan, chalet or holiday home they can use free for a week to give this family, who can’t afford a holiday, the opportunity enjoy a holiday and for Tegan to experience the seaside. The family can come at any time, however they would need a couple of weeks to arrange for oxygen and other medical equipment that currently helps keep Tegan alive. I am desperate to help Tegan and her family as I lost my son when he was nearly five months old, after he, too, had been born with cancer. My son’s only experience of life was a hospital room, I would like to help create memories for Tegan’s family as I know how important it is.'

The article was featured prominently under the headline 'Can anyone help little Tegan?' and the readers' response was incredible, the parents were moved to tears by the kindness of complete strangers who had offered their homes so they could enjoy a week’s holiday on the Island. The generosity of people was amazing - it's the kind of thing that puts a warm glow in your heart.


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me.
    I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles.



    dovo razor

    ReplyDelete