Wednesday 9 February 2011

New Dad Burblings

Eurrrrgh....

I was up till 5.00am again yesterday.

Tell somebody that and they instantly think you've been out drinking and partying but no . I have a tiny person to deal with(that's a baby, BTW, I'm not looking after a dwarf ). Despite having his jabs today he seemed as full of life and smiles and pee and puke as ever. I hope that tonight will be the more usual 2.30 or 3 O'clock bedtime. I need to be quicker with the nappy changing - last night's Piss Fountain was pretty impressive. The nappies where it looks like he's sitting in a pool of Piccalilli always seem to happen on my shift, too.

Everything about looking after babies is wet and messy and/or painful - from plunging your hands into the freezing cold bleach tank that is the sterilisation unit ( to rinse the bottles) to squirting boiling hot milk over your wrists to test the temperature. His little fingernails are now razor sharp when they dig into your arm- I'm just glad I'm not breastfeeding and he's not clawing at my tits! He likes trying to stand up-on my lap. This results in him trampling on my bollocks as though they were grapes (I do let out a bit of a 'whine ').

It's incredible how happy and animated he can be at Cunt O'clock in the morning. Staring, smiling, gurgling & dribbling can all go on for HOURS. The little rubber plant on the mantelpiece is endlessly fascinating to him. He does fall asleep eventually of course, but try to stick him down in a cot (rather than asleep on somebody) and his eyes flick open immediately and he's as alert as a mini ninja assassin. I am not 'Dad' yet, but I am definitely 'Bed'. I have that dishevelled, unshaven New Dad look down pat - even the shoulders of all my tops & T-shirts have the tell-tale milky stains (make your own jokes).



But I wouldn't change it for the world.... after losing a son, it is nice to finally be holding a living breathing baby boy again... even if he IS fecking nocturnal.



No comments:

Post a Comment